Owlstone Croft, Newnham
History of Owlstone Croft
Owlstone Croft was formerly called Paradise garden. In 1740 it was taken over by Mr Rowe who specialised in forcing vegetables for the London market. His son Richard became associated with a Dutch bulb grower, became the leading grower of flowers and invented the hyacinth glass for growing bulbs in water only.
1795 the diarist Gunning recorded that the house was completely cut off in the great flood. Furniture was washed out of the house.
In 1879 Major R Calvert, chief police constable, bought the estate.
In 1881 the house was rebuilt with cottages.
1913
Alfred Peart, alderman
In 1914, A B Lassiter used it as a school for young women.
1947 the house was once again surrounded by flood water.
There is an article about Owlstone Croft and Paradise island here:
https://www.queens.cam.ac.uk/visiting-the-college/history/college-facts/owlstone-croft-history
The architect for the building was Edwin Bays (1843 – 1909).
Projects
Contribute
Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please
let us know using the Contact page or by
emailing capturingcambridge@
Licence
This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated by
.