Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

5 West Road (New Road), West House / West House Hotel

History of 5 West Road

1871: New Road

Jabez Jay Chater, 36, nurseryman seedsman, florist, fruiterer and gardener, b Essex

[Jabez had purchased the Gonville Nursery in West Road in 1862. He died suddenly in his sleep 19th March 1873]

Harriett, 31, b London

Arthur Brand, 9, b Essex

Alice Harriett, 7, b Cambridge

Mary Eveline, 5, b Cambridge

Alexander, 3, b Cambridge

Emma Ann Duce, servant, 16, b Grantchester

…………

The Gonville Nursery was bought by the firm of Lyles and Speed who had a shop at 15 Petty Cury. A few years later, re-named the Newnham Nursery, it was acquired, with the Petty Cury shop, by James Sanders under whose name the seedsman’s business continued into the 20th century.

…………

1881: West Road

Charles Clay

…………

1891:

Clay

…………

West Road OS map 1903

1901: West House

Clay

…………

1911:

Mary Clay

…………

1913: West House

Miss Clay

…………

1939:

Alice Clay, b 1859, private means

Edith Farrington, b 1898, cook

Elizabeth Glover, b 1895, parlourmaid

Mabel Cox, b 1895, housemaid

…………

1962:

West House Hotel, Owen Tudor proprietor

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.