Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Peter­borough
  • /
  • Peakirk
  • Back Forward
Peakirk nunnery c.2024

Peakirk nunnery c.2024

Hermitage and Chapel, Peakirk

History of Hermitage and Chapel

Listed Building

Small chapel on site of and successor to, St Pega’s cell of circa C8. Erected by John de Wynbeck. Small 2 cell building. Nave C15 and chancel circa 1300. Heavily restored and remodelled into C13 form in 1880 and again in C20 as a convent chapel. Coursed stone with steeply pitched plain tile roof with coped gable ends. Three stepped lancets in west end. The chancel has C15 east window. Early English style south door with 3-light window to side. St Pega was sister of St Guthlac, the founder of Crowland.

This is the traditional site of St Pega’s Cell established in the 8th century. The site was refounded in the 11th century was was dissolved in 1048. The site was taken over by Crowland Abbey who had a chapel here in the 12th cent. dedicated to St Batholomew.

The Anglican nunnery here closed in 200.

Tags

  • Listed building
  • Religious House

Projects

  • Peakirk

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Peakirk

35 Fore Hill, Ely

21 High Street, Royston

Moated Complex nr Fryers Cottage, Harlton

Borough Fen, Peakirk