Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Babraham
  • Back Forward
A pale-painted building with a dark tiled roof, central chimney, bay windows, and a doorway labeled The George Restaurant Bar.

The George, Babraham

The George, Babraham

History of the The George

Listed building:

Public House. C17 with C19 extensions

This was one of a number of pubs acquired by the Cambridgeshire Public House Trust Association after 1903. CDN 13/2/1904: The movement is a commercial undertaking with a philanthropic end. They want to raise the tone of the public house and promote temperance. he managers obtain no benefit from the sale of alcoholic liquors but make a profit on non-intoxicants; hot soup is supplied and villagers seem to appreciate the change as more and more public houses are ready to supply non-alcoholic refreshments.

Monochrome painting of a two-storey building with a tiled roof, two bay windows on the ground floor, and a central chimney.

George Inn, 1936, Babraham (painting by T F Teversham)

Tags

  • Listed building
  • Public House

Projects

  • Babraham

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Babraham

12 High Street, Coton

Oxcroft Farm (Manor), West Wratting

Burwell windmill (Stevens Mill)

Babraham data

Church Farmhouse, Babraham

Home Farmhouse, High Street Babraham

World War Two Reminiscences of V J Brown

The Almshouses and the School House, Babraham

The Icehouse, Cambridge Road, Babraham

Barn and Granary, Babraham

Copley Hill bowl barrow

39 & 41 High Street, Babraham

Babraham Hall