Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Barrington
  • Back Forward
Black and white drawing of six metal artifacts including three long brooches, a ring, and two rectangular plates.

Barrington B Anglo-Saxon cemetery (from Fox 1923)

Anglo-Saxon cemetery, Barrington

History of Barrington B cemetery

Cyril Fox (1923) describes this as Barrington B. It was excavated in 1883 but had already been opened by coprolite diggers.

There were 114 graves. 55 fibulae were recovered from 29 graves. In addition there were 2 swords, 8 shield bosses, 15 spears and many knives.

A black-and-white print showing a grid of numbered Anglo-Saxon metal brooches, circular ornaments, and beads on a grey background.

Anglo-Saxon burial goods near Cambridge (Fox 1923)

https://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-281-1/dissemination/pdf/RR112.pdf

Tags

  • Anglo-Saxon
  • archaeology
  • cemetery

Projects

  • Barrington

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Barrington

Lion Yard, Cambridge

Gonville and Caius farm, Babraham Road, Cambridge

71 Grange Road, Saxmeadham, Cambridge

Barrington Primary School

10 Challis Green, Barrington

The Guildhall, 36 High Street, Barrington

The Chapel, 10 High Street, Barrington

Orwell Mill, Barrington

29 High Street Barrington

West Green Farm, Barrington

36 West Green Barrington

Challis Green, Barrington

18 High Street, Barrington