Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Comberton
  • Back Forward
Low earth ridges of a turf maze sit in the foreground, with houses and dense trees in the background under a cloudy sky.

Comberton maze, c.1900 (photo W H Hayles) (Cambridgeshire Collection)

Maze, Comberton

History of the Maze

According to Vanishing Cambridgeshire a turf maze, known locally as ‘The Mazles’ was cut at Comberton some time after 1660, probably as a copy of a surviving maze at Hilton. In 1846 it was enclosed in the playground of the village school. However a new maze was cut in 1909 on a different site and to a different design. This was destroyed in 1928 when the school was extended.

A 1901 Ordnance Survey map detail of Comberton showing labels for the Red Lion, Tailors' Arms, school, and a maze location.

Comberton OS map 1901 showing maze

A black-and-white ink drawing shows men in top hats exiting a church porch, with text describing an 1891 church charity.

Urbs Camboritum, Comberton Maze

Projects

  • Comberton

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Comberton

Cross Farmhouse, 3 South Street, Comberton

Thistle Down Cottage, 10 West Street, Comberton

41 Swaynes Lane, Comberton

69 Swaynes Lane, Comberton

Swayne’s Lane, Comberton

Brocks Close, 59 Swaynes Lane, Comberton

Old Close Farm, 43 South Street, Comberton

Meadowside, 26 Swaynes Lane, Comberton

South Street Allotments, Comberton

Church Lane, Comberton