Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
43 High Street, Cottenham

43 High Street, Wrestler’s Arms, Cottenham

History of 43 High Street

[The locations of properties become more difficult to locate even relative to each other as one works back through the censuses. The assumption has been made that families are likely to be at the same location in consecutive censuses but this cannot be verified.]

1830s: old red bricked house on this site owned and kept by Philip Piggot in the 1830s. Closed in 1847.

…………..

1841: approx.

Stephen Fullstone, 30, barber

………..

1851: approx.

Thomas Worland, 37, journeyman shoemaker, b Cottenham

……….

1861: approx.

John Piggott, 45, ag.lab., b Cottenham

…………

1871:

Jeremiah Emmerson, 32, ag.lab., b Cottenham

………..

1881:

Jeremiah Emmerson, 42, ag.lab., b Cottenham

Eliza, 40

[nearby]

Elizabeth Bocock, 65, annuitant, b Cottenham

………..

1891: approx

Eliza Emmerson, 51, b Cottenham

…………

1901:

Henry J Rayment, 28, bricklayer, b Cottenham

………….

1911:

Mary Ann Haird, 71, b Cottenham

…………….

1939:

Cyril Smith, b 1892, smallholder farm and fruit (Special Constable)

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.