Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Fen Ditton
  • /
  • Church Street
  • Back Forward
A row of single-story brick cottages with tile roofs, chimney stacks, and a black metal fence along the front pavement.

4 – 8 Church Street Fen Ditton

4, 6 & 8 Church Street, Fen Ditton

History of 4, 6 & 8 Fen Ditton

1861

Mary Peters, 78, almshouse widow of shepherd, b Fen Ditton

Sarah Dean, 62, almshouse, b Impington

Mary Peachey, 59, almshouse, b London

Sarah Green, 76, almshouse, b Fen Ditton

Sarah Gillson, 82, almshouse widow of ag lab, b Great Wilbraham

vacant


Listed building:

Almshouses, rebuilt in 1877 for Thomas Bailey and recently converted to three dwellings. Gault brick with red brick dressings.

A stone plaque and a relief carving of a coat of arms mounted on a brick wall, detailing the history of 1665-6 almshouses.

4 – 8 Church Street Fen Ditton

A stone plaque set into a brick wall features carved text about Willys Almshouses and their renovation in 1968-9.

4 – 8 Church Street Fen Ditton

A light-colored stone plaque set into a red and grey brick wall, featuring an inscription dated July 6, 1877.

4 – 8 Church Street Fen Ditton

 

Tags

  • Almshouse
  • Listed building

Projects

  • Church Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Church Street

30 Somers Road, Wisbech

2 & 4 High Street, Pampisford

54 Trumpington Street

The Old Rectory, 1 Church Street, Fen Ditton

Fen Ditton Church Hall

War Memorial, Fen Ditton

documents

16 Church Street, Fen Ditton

20 & 22 Church Street, Fen Ditton