Fen Ditton church from the Cam
St Mary the Virgin, Fen Ditton
History of Fen Ditton church
Parish Church. North aisle c.1300 and chancel. Nave arcades, clerestoreys, south aisle and south porch C15. Church restored in 1881 by J.L. Pearson (1817-97), and in 1888-9. West tower rebuilt reproducing early C13 details. Walls of flint and limestone, some reused medieval stone with Barnack limestone and clunch dressings. Roofs of lead.
The picture shows Fen Ditton church viewed from the west.
The history of the church can be found here:
A Railway Traveller’s walk through Cambridge 1871, a tourist guide, describes the boat races:
It is a very interesting sight on a fine May evening, between six and seven o’clock, to see the population of Cambridge, poring by several avenues across the broad Common between the two and the river. the racing course extends about a mile and furlong, being almost entirely embraced by two long reaches of the river, which make an elbow opposite the pretty church and vicarage gardens of Ditton, and form a boundary on the left bank to a Common of fen, which extends far away into the distance. Along the edge of this Common runs the towing path, which is occupied by the spectators. Boats of all sizes are drawn up along the banks ….
Fen Ditton Church