The moated site is believed to represent the manor of Histon Denny, later called Histon St Andrew, which was owned by the bishops of Lincoln from the 11th century until 1392 when it was sold to Denny Abbey. The Abbey retained the manor until the Dissolution. In 1539 the manor was sold by the Crown to Edward Elrington who sold it on to William Bowyer in 1541, and it continued in the possession of the Bowyer family until 1655. Documentary sources record a manor house in this area in 1560 and it is thought to have been succeeded in the 17th century by the present Histon Manor which is situated 120m to the north, outside the area of the scheduling. Landscaping of the grounds of Histon Manor, which included the moated site, took place in the 18th century.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.