Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Horningsea
  • Back Forward
White painted, two-storey Plough and Fleece pub with a tiled mansard roof, dormer windows, and a hanging pub sign on the right.

The Plough and Fleece, High Street, Horningsea

The Plough and Fleece, High Street, Horningsea

History of the Plough and Fleece, High Street

Listed building:

Inn. Late C18, early C19. Painted brick with plain tile mansard roof.

A printed document detailing the 1842 sale of the Plough and Fleece beer-house in Horningsea, listing property features.

1842 Nutter Sale notice (Cambridgeshire Archives)

The Plough and Fleece beer house was listed as lot 1 in the bankruptcy auction of James Nutter that took place on Thursday 26 May 1842 at 11am at the Eagle Inn in Cambridge. In the auction particulars it is stated that the then tenant of the beer house was Thomas Pettit. The property was described as follows: freehold roomy brick and tile house (recently put in the most complete repair) containing an excellent tap-room, parlour, cellarage and several sleeping rooms over together with the yard, garden and outbuildings. It was also stated that Mr Fison had  a right of way through the yard to his brick kilns.

Pub sign depicting a man wearing a fleece holding a plow pulled by a white horse, with text reading Free House Car Park.

Plough and Fleece, Horningsea (RGL2024)

A black brick fireplace featuring a central hearth, rows of polished horse brasses on the beam, and copper vessels inside.

Fireplace, Plough and Fleece, Horningsea

A rectangular gravel court bordered by wooden sleepers sits in a garden, with a plastic case of colorful boule balls nearby.

Boule court, Plough and Fleece, Horningsea

Tags

  • Listed building

Projects

  • Horningsea

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Horningsea

57 High Street, Haddenham

Lenzie, 77 High Street, Guilden Morden

Mossbury Farm, Silver Street, Litlington

Clayhithe Road, Horningsea

1 & 2 The Square, Horningsea

86 & 88 High Street, Horningsea

90 (Post Office), 92 & 94 (East View) High Street, Horningsea

The Priory, Horningsea

House, High Street, Horningsea

Village Pump nr 74 High Street, Horningsea

Village Pump, High Street, Horningsea

The Fison family of Horningsea & Teversham

Horningsea Kilns