Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Thriplow
  • Back Forward

Manor House, Thriplow

History of the Manor House

Listed Building

Manor House. 1563 carved beam, with C17 additions and alterations, said to have been restored by James Essex in late C18, kitchen addition c.1800 and C20 alterations and additions. … The manor house stands on the west side of the moated site of Barrinytons Manor. It was owned by Sir Christopher Hatton in 1681; in 1696 it was sold to Dr Humphrey Gower, master of St Johns, Cambridge and up to the mid C18 was used as a vacation residence by masters of the college. In 1781 it was partly demolished. 

Garden and boundary wall to The Manor House. Garden wall. Late C17, (1681 scratched on brick), possibly built by Sir Christopher Hatton and repaired later.

Garden ornament (C), late C17. Limestone urn incomplete on stem with cartouche and hart decoration to panels and swags on moulded plinth.

 

Tags

  • Listed building
  • tudor

Projects

  • Thriplow

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Thriplow

Valley Farmhouse, Ermine Way, Arrington

Walnut Tree Cottage, 31 Heydon Road, Great Chishill

21 Eden Street

Middle Street, Thriplow

19 & 21 Lower Street, Bassetts, Guild Hall, Thriplow

Smithy, Thriplow

11 Church Street, Thriplow

Oak Manor, 4 The Green, Thriplow

Foreman’s Road, Thriplow

Old Hall, 11 The Green, Thriplow

47 Church Street, Thriplow

Cottages, Brook Road, Thriplow

40 Church Street, Thriplow