By Dormskirk - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org
289 Hills Road, Glebe Lodge
History of 289 Hills Road
William Philip Cutlack, 28, director of brewery company, born Littleport
Dora Cutlack, 25, born South Africa
Emily Ann Cutlack, 50, mother, born London
Edith Pluck, 23, servant, housemaid, born Linton
Hilda Twitchett, 22, servant, cook, born West Witcham
There is a detailed biography of William Cutlack on the Cambridgeshire Regiment web site from which these notes are taken.
William studied at Pembroke College Cambridge from 1900-1903. While at university he served as part of the mounted Infantry Section in the Cambridge University Rifles. After university he rejoined his father’s brewery business at Ely; he married in 1911 and moved to Glebe Lodge. At the outbreak of war he returned to the army with the rank of Captain and then joined the 2/1st Battalion of the Suffolk Regiment. He was given command of the battalion in May 1916 and the rank of major.
He stayed in the Territorial army after the war and was given the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in 1924. Shortly after this his wife died from an allergic reaction to a bee sting. In 1929 he left the TA as colonel and went on to serve as High Sheriff from 1934-5.
During WW2 he was Zone Commander of the Isle of Ely Home Guard. His son Robin had joined the Cambridgeshire Regiment and was promoted to captain. He was killed in January 1942 in fighting north of Singapore. Colonel Cutlack himself passed away in 1965.