Search by topic
Search by text
Historical notes on Mowbray Road
Mowbray Road is named after the medieval aristocratic Mowbray family who once owned land in this area.
In the 1920 map of Cambridge there is a road as yet unnamed which stretch from Cherry Hinton Road south past its junction with Glebe Road but not as far as Queen Edith’s Way. It runs through the middle of an area labeled allotment gardens and parallel to the stream to the east which ran from Nine Wells towards Coldhams Lane.
In October 1985 a fake zebra crossing was painted across the road (CEN 15.10.1985). It arose during a campaign to have a real crossing constructed but local residents condemned the stunt since children were trying to use it.
Sources: Cambridge Weekly News (Cambridgeshire Collection)