The White Hart, 2 Sturton Street
The Petersfield pub, formerly the White Hart
The former White Hart pub – now the Petersfield and once the Backstreet Bistro – is on the corner of Hooper Street and Sturton Street. Its official address is 2 Sturton Street, but it has also been listed in early trade directories and census records as 1 Sturton Street and 10 Hooper Street.
According to trade directories, the pub was in existence by at least 1879. For its first three decades there seems to have been a change of landlord every few years. Names mentioned in early records include George Cooper (1879), Henry Culley (1883), Joseph Hodge (1888), Francis Miller (1891), George Percival (1892), Frederick Overy (1896) and George Riley (1904).
In the 1911 the White Hart was run by Frederick Norgan and his wife Florence. Frederick was born in Hitchin, Hertfordshire. Florence was born in Cambridge but her parents were from Devon and Cornwall. Both families had moved to Cambridge in the late nineteenth century for work on the railways. In 1901 Frederick, then 21 and living on Mill Road, was working as a bricklayer. By 1911, newly married to Florence, he had taken on a new career as a publican.
By 1913 they had two young children, Reginald and Alice. A few years later Florence died, and Frederick married a second wife, Lily. He died in 1924, still landlord of the White Hart. Lily Norgan was listed on the electoral register for 2 Sturton Street as late as 1927.
In 1939 the pub was run by John Thomas Warren and his wife Mary. John was born in 1894 in Woolwich, London, son of a beer retailer.
UK census records (1841 to 1911), General Register Office birth, marriage and death indexes (1837 onwards), the 1939 England and Wales Register, electoral registers, and Kelly’s Directory of Cambridgeshire (from 1879).