Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • The Kite
  • /
  • Fitzroy Street
  • Back Forward
Corner brick building with Waffles cafe signage and a hanging sign on a quiet street corner marked with a Gold Street sign.

The locally famous Waffles cafe on the corner of Fitzroy Street and Gold Street, 1980s, by Roy Hammans (the-golden-fleece.co.uk)

Waffles, 62 – 64 Fitzroy Street / 1 Gold Street, Cambridge

Iconic Cambridge Breakfast Spot

1851

Samuel Crane, 43, hair dresser, b Essex


1871

Hannah Matthews, widow, 57, dressmaker, b Adington


1913

G P Hawkins, bakers and confectioners


Waffles restaurant stood here from 1973-1981 run by Canadian couple Pat and Virginia La Charite.

See also entry on Gold Street


1970 –


1972 empty

A corner three-storey brick building with a shopfront on the ground floor and two levels of sash windows above.

64 Fitzroy Street / 1 Gold Street (MoC 81.72)


1973-1981 Waffles

A corner brick building in 1974 with a Waffles cafe shopfront, featuring striped pillars and Gold Street signage on the wall.

1 Gold Street / 64 Fitzroy Street 1974 (MoC559/74)

A tall street lamp stands in the foreground before a brick building with weathered, exposed walls, a tree, and a metal fence.

Rear view of 62-64 Fitzroy Street from Burleigh Place, 1980s, by Roy Hammans (the-golden-fleece.co.uk)


1980 03 14

Waffles’ waffles have been selling like hot cakes in Cambridge for seven years. Now the small Kite café has been mentioned in the Egon Ronay guide Just a Bite. “Queues of hungry students form outside the door every evening at this most welcoming of little cafés,” it writes. But Waffles’ days at its present address are numbered because the little shop on the corner of Gold Street and Fitzroy Street is marked for demolition as part of the Kite redevelopment programme. Set in a devastated urban wasteland of rubble and decaying brick, the café, with its steamy windows, Edwardian interior and babbling conversation, provides a friendly island of humanity. 80 03 14d

Credit: Mike Petty, Fitzroy Street Cambridge Scrapbook 1897 to 1990.


After the Grafton Centre development Waffles moved to a new location on Castle Hill until the late 1980s.

See more information and photos at http://www.iankitching.me.uk/history/cam/waffles.html
and https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/cambridge-waffles-caf-history-graftoncentre-19444594

 

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Tags

  • Roy Hammans

Projects

  • Fitzroy Street
  • Gold Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Fitzroy Street

183 East Road, Cambridge

176 / 177 East Road, Baker’s Arms

Swainland Signs, Broad Street, Cambridge

83 (92) Fitzroy Street, Cambridge

19 – 20, (119 – 120) Fitzroy Street, Cambridge

49 (105) Fitzroy Street, Cambridge

135 (76) Fitzroy Street, Cambridge

48 & 50 (12 & 13) Fitzroy Street, Cambridge

103 (84) Fitzroy Street, Cambridge

93 (88 1/2) Fitzroy Street, Cambridge

74 & 76 (25 & 26) Fitzroy Street, Cambridge

26 (9) Fitzroy Street

62 (19) Fitzroy Street, Cambridge