Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • The Kite
  • /
  • Gold Street
  • Back Forward
A two-story white building with a brick side and a sign hanging between upper windows above a boarded-up ground floor entrance.

The Rabbit, Gold Street, April 1970 (MoC16/89/70)

The Rabbit, 50 Gold Street, Cambridge

History of The Rabbit

1861 The Rabbit

Louisa Kidman, 18, licensee

 

 

1864

John Nightingale, brewer

 

1869

Richard Edwards, b Sawston 1840

 

1871

Richard Edwards, 34, brewer licensed victualler The Rabbit, b Sawston

 

1880s

Edwards took over the Fitzroy Brewery associated with the Fitzroy Arms in Fitzroy Street.

 

1890s

Edwards transferred brewing business across the road to 11 Gold Street evidenced by 185 ft borehole. Publican of Rabbit is now Henry Nixon who is also brewer.

 

1913

John William T Davis, The Rabbit

 

1937

Rabbit Public House, Sidney Syson

Tags

  • Public House

Projects

  • Gold Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Gold Street

292 Mill Road, The Royal Standard, Cambridge

The New Inn, 9 Union Street, Wisbech

The Hoops, 3 & 5 Townsend, Soham

27 Gold Street, Cambridge

37 Gold Street, Cambridge

33 Gold Street, Cambridge

8 Gold Street, Cambridge

21 Gold Street, Cambridge

The Johnny Gilpin, 18 Gold Street, Cambridge

43 Gold Street, Cambridge

41 Gold Street, Cambridge

9 Gold Street, Cambridge

The Johnny Gilpin, 17 Gold Street, Cambridge