Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

172 (76) – 174 (77) Newmarket Road, Heart of Oak, Royal Oak, Black Bull

History of 172 and 174 Newmarket Road

Royal Commission Survey of Cambridge 1959: of two storeys … it was built in the 18th century on a T- shaped plan … contains 18th century fireplace surrounds of wood with some enrichments.

……………

1851: Royal Oak [in this year there were two inns very near each other, the Royal Oak and the Black Bull. In later years it is possible they merged]

James Preston, 50, publican and carman

1851: Black Bull

James Low, 60, victualler and hay dealer

…………..

1861:

(77) Richard Lithell, 55, grocer

(76) Margaret Low, widow, 63, publican and carter

Richard Low, 32, brewer

……………

1871: Bull

(77) Walter Peak, 59, general dealer

(76) Christopher Thurston, 62, brickmaker and publican

Richard Lowe, lodger, unemployed brewer

……………

1881:

(76) Hearts of Oak

Edward Bolton, 31, contractor and publican

(77)

William Head, 35, milkman

……………

1891: Heart of Oak

Esther Warren, 48, inn keeper

(77) James Hodson, 50, lamp lighter

…………….

1901:

(76)

Michael Cozens, publican

(77)

Charles Rippingale, labourer

………………

1913:

(172) Hearts of Oak

Percy George White

(174)

Samuel Saggers

……………..

1962: neither listed

 

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.