Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

83 Newmarket Road, York House

History of 83 Newmarket Road

1901:

Samuel Stanton, 57, bank cashier, b Wisbech

Susannah C, 61, b Lincoln

Elizabeth M, 32, b London

Charlotte L, 31, school mistress, b London

Emma H Blackley, 18, servant, b Cambridge

……….

1911:

Ernest Edwards Jones, 43, civil engineer, b Neath

Fanny Clare, 39, b Gloucester

Hilda Edwards, 16, b Gloucester

Mona Edwards, 14, b Neath

William Edwards, 13, b Neath

Basil Edwards, 11, b Poole

Muriel Edwards, 9, b Poole

Dora Edwards, 7, b Cambridge

Howard Edwards, 7, b Cambridge

Annie Nellie Payton, 18, b Waterbeach

William Edwards Jones: Trooper 1401, Essex Yeomanry. Killed in action 14th May 1915. Age 19. Enlisted Colchester, resident Watford. Son of Ernest Edwards Jones and Clara Jones, of Western Moor, Neath, Glamorgan. Commemorated on YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Panel 5. See also Cambridge Guildhall, Cambridge County High School and Perse School (St Paul’s Roll of Honour)

…………………………….

1913: York House

Ernest Edwards Jones

………………………….

1950s:

The house was owned by John Kay, former colleague of Peter Danckwerts, at Cambridge University. Kay had moved to Risley to work in the UK Atomic Energy Authority in 1952 and he let the house. In 1954, when he became professor at Imperial College, he returned to Yorke House at weekends.

…………………………….

1959:

Purchased by Peter Danckwerts and his wife Lavinia. Peter had been appointed as Cambridge’s Shell professor in 1959.

There is a detailed description of life at the house in ‘Life on the edge – Peter Danckwerts’, by Peter Varey, 2012.

……………………………..

1962: Cambridge city decided to issue a compulsory purchase order for York House. It was finally demolished in 1967.

In 1964 the family moved to Abbey House.

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.