Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Barnwell / Abbey Cambridge
  • /
  • Newmarket Road
  • Back Forward
A black-and-white ink drawing of a plan of Stourbridge Fair from 1725, showing labelled rows, booths, and fairgrounds.

Stourbridge Fair 1725

Ironmonger’s Row, Stourbridge Fair

History of Ironmonger's Row

Notes from Honor Ridout’s ‘Cambridge and Stourbridge Fair:

It was possible to furnish and equip a house completely with purchases from the Fair. Between the Timber Fair and Cheapside (the Newmarket road) lay Ironmonger’s Row, the pewterers and braziers, the joiners and upholsterers.

From ealy times, the ironmongery at the Fair was a vital supply, with its own row. In the 18th cent., the well known Cambridge ironfounder, William Finch, and his son had a prominent booth here, selling bar iron. Nails were also vital and had a short row dedicated to their sale.

Tags

  • fair
  • Stourbridge Fair

Projects

  • Newmarket Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Newmarket Road

The Leper Chapel of St Mary Magdalene, Cambridge

Reach Fairground

video

Mill Road, Cambridge, Winter Fair

568 Newmarket Road (5 Elfleda Cottages)

151 (215) Newmarket Road

30 Newmarket Road

105 Newmarket Road, Abbey Dairy

84 (35/36) Newmarket Road

530, Old Gardens, Newmarket Road

62 (25 Sun Street) Newmarket Road

9 – 11 Newmarket Road, Burleigh Arms

133 Newmarket Road, Earby House

211 & 213 Newmarket Road