Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Barnwell / Abbey Cambridge
  • /
  • Newmarket Road
  • Back Forward
Two horse-drawn carts stand on a street in front of stone buildings, with men in hats positioned near the horses and wagons.

Priory Brewery c 1900

Priory Brewery

History of the Priory Brewery

Approx position

Alfred and Charles Wisbey moved from the Hope Brewery to the Priory in 1866.

In 1874 James Wisbey sold it to George Bullock together with four associated pubs including the “Champion of the Thames.”

1891 Francis George Bullock took over ownership. It was then sold to Charles Armstrong.

 

Tags

  • brewery

Projects

  • Newmarket Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Newmarket Road

66 Hills Road, The House of Commons, (34), Cambridge

44 (14 & 15 Sun Street) Newmarket Road, The Shakespeare

Pampisford Brewery

98 (42) Newmarket Road

16 (8) Newmarket Road

261 – 263 Newmarket Road

99 (222) Newmarket Road

249 (170) Newmarket Road, The Seven Stars

Christ the Redeemer

63 Newmarket Road (?237 The ?? Tap)

111 Newmarket Road, Little Abbey

345 (133) Newmarket Road

Paper Mills, The Moat, Newmarket Road