Search by topic
Search by text
7 Mount Pleasant, Storey’s Almshouses
History of 7 Mount Pleasant
1844. In the Tudor style. Yellow brick with freestone dressings. String courses at 1st floor cill and parapet levels. Projecting porches with pointed arches, the wall face projects and are carried up to small gables with blank shields. 2 storeys. 3 light mullion and transom windows on the ground floor, 2 and 3 light windows above. Slate roof, chimney stacks with grouped shafts. (RCHM 93). See also Shields Row.
The Edward Storey Foundation built these houses in 1844. 7 to 17 Mount Pleasant were built for Clergy Widows. Those on the west side of Shelly Row were for poor women from the parishes of Holy Trinity and St Giles.