Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Northampton and Magdalene Street junction

2, 3, 4 Northampton Street, Cory House

History of Cory House, Northampton Street

1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge: a long narrow¬†range bordering the street…has walls of brick and plastered timber framing…two distinct 16th cent. structures are linked by a narrow early 18th cent. building. The last represents the infilling of a through carriage-way.

The article by Ida Birch in the Cory Society newsletter of April 2002 is can be found here:

Cory House article 2002

13-14 Magdalene, 1 Northampton Street & Cory House

1911:

………………….

1913:

(2) William Potter, labourer

(3) Peter Missen

(4) Mrs Carter

…………………..

1934:

The house and other nearby  buildings had been bought by Reginald Radcliffe Cory and bequeathed to to The Society for the Preservation of Ancient Buildings on his death in 1934. The other properties included 10 cottages on the corner of Magdalene Street and Northampton Street.

………………….

1938-9:

Cory House first mentioned by name in Spaldings as property divided into 5 flats.

…………………..

1962: Cory House

Flat 2 Miss brown

Flat 3 Miss H Whatling

Flat 4 –

Flat 5 Marsh

East end of Northampton Street

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.