Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Charles Humfrey

Clarendon House

History of Clarendon House

This is the former site of Charles Humfrey’s house, Clarendon House, which stood between Clarendon Street, Victoria Street and Earl Street.

Clarendon House map

The entry on Cambridge City website listing past mayors of the city says: J. Burleigh was one of those who received an allotment under the 1811 Barnwell Inclosure Award. He sold a plot to Charles Humfrey for a mansion: much of this area is now bordered by Clarendon Street, Elm Street, Emmanuel Road and Parker Street. The mansion, Clarendon House, was designed by William Wilkins. Humfrey, an architect, went on to acquire more property in the area. By 1845 he was in debt and he and his executors had to sell his bank and his Cambridge property over the next few years. The mansion was demolished later in the century and its site is now Parkside Community College. However a gazebo still exists in the garden of no. 2 Emmanuel Road and was restored in 1997 by the current owners, the city council and English Heritage. Humfrey designedthe steeple of St. Clement’s Church in 1821. Queen Victoria’s coronation dinner on Parker’s Piece took place during Mr Humfrey’s year as mayor.

For information about Charles Humfrey see:

http://www.cambridgeblueplaques.org.uk/Bios/charles_humphrey.html

Cambridge Pubs – Clarendon Arms

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.