Search by topic
Search by text
5 Emmanuel Road
History of 5 Emmanuel Road
Original layout of Clarendon House and Monument
According to Royal Commission Survey of Cambridge 1959: Houses, a pair, now. 5 and 13 Emmanuel Road, standing some 78 yards apart symmetrically between Parker Street and Orchard Street, facing Christ’s Pieces, are of two storeys and have walls of gault brick with stone dressings and slate-covered roofs. They were built as grooms’ houses between 1826 and 1828 and architecturally devised as the small pavilion-like terminal features to a long range on the NW boundary of the grounds of Charles Humfrey’s house, Clarendon House, which stood between Clarendon Street, Victoria Street and earl Street. The range was built by Humfrey for letting as mews but the middle part was leased to the Borough and adapted for use as a police station. It is show on R G Baker’s map pf 1830.
Alfred Brockett, University Marshall