Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

7a Jesus Lane, The Pitt Club, Pizza Express

History of 7a Jesus Lane

The site was originally the entrance to the inn yard of the Hoop. Four coaches left for London every day (5s fare) as well as coaches to Huntingdon, Birmingham, Stamford, Bury and Leamington.

There is a Wikipedia article about the building:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitt_Club

It was built by the Roman Bath Company. The main promoter of this venture in 1861, to create Turkish Baths in Cambridge, was Henry Staples Foster, mayor in 1849. However, bathing in the river was a more attractive proposition and the Turkish Baths were not a success. The company sold the premises in 1863.

………………

William Pitt -a portrait in the Club reading room

A sporting undergraduate & typical member of the Pitt Club in the 1880s. From a lithograph in colour in the silence room of the Pitt Club.

……………….

1913:

A W Parmenter, lodging housekeeper

University ‘Pitt’ Club, D G Marshall, steward

1962:

…………………

S Maletka, guest house

University Pitt Club, K E Gladwell, steward

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.