Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • King Street
  • Back Forward
A brass metal badge featuring a central shield topped by a crown and lion, surrounded by scrolled ribbons with text.

King Edward’s Horse Regimental Badge

16 King Street, Cambridge

History of 16 King Street

A two-story commercial building on a street corner with large ground-floor windows and the number 16 displayed on the facade.

16 King Street

1913

Headquarters (C Squadron) King Edward’s Horse (The King’s Overseas Dominions Regiment) Special Reserve

Colonel in Chief, His Majesty the King

Squadron Commander, Major E W Hermon

Further information about the regiment can be found here:

http://kingedwardshorse.net

Lawrence Bragg recalls in ‘Crystal Clear’ p.88 that he and his brother Rob were in King Edward’s Horse. ‘It was composed of men who had come originally from the Dominions and was first called ‘The King’s Colonials’. My cousin, Steenie Squires, had got into the unit on the grounds that his mother was Australian. We were mounted infantry, trained in the tactics found useful in the Boer War. The emphasis was on marksmanship, riding and care of our horses. We were in sections of four, and on exercises three of us dismounted and delivered a withering fire on the enemy while the fourth held the horses…’


1916

(6-16) H W Peake


2 December 1938 – King Street Riding School claims national reputation
An advertisement described the King Street Riding School as the largest and most up-to-date indoor riding school in the country. Its principal, Captain E. Cooper, was praised as an outstanding instructor and horseman whose reputation had been established through service in the British Army. The advertisement also pointed to the many successes achieved by his pupils over thirty years of instruction in King Street, presenting the school as one of Cambridge’s leading equestrian establishments.

Source: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge King Street Scrapbook 1897–1990, Item: 38 12 02a.


1970

(6-16) Court Bros Furnishers Ltd

The facade of the Courts building on King Street, featuring three bay windows above shop windows with sale signs in 1972.

6 – 16 King Street, 1972 (MoC 182/72)

A view of a curved street with a brick wall separating a modern residential building from a shop with a visible sign.

16 King Street, 1972 (MoC 80/72)

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Tags

  • world war one

Projects

  • King Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

King Street

34 Causewayside

36 Springfield Road

18 Belgrave Road, Raithby House

98 King Street, Broughton House (52, Poplar House & 51)

75 (79) King Street, Cambridge

73 (80) King Street

(59) (87) King Street

62 (35) King Street, Cambridge

(53) King Street

71 (81, 82), The Mart, King Street, Cambridge

81 (76) King Street, The Sevastopol

86 – 88 (47) Kings Street, Horse and Groom Public House / The King Street Run, Cambridge

7-9 King Street