Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • King Street
  • Back Forward

74 (41) King Street, Cambridge

History of 74 King Street

1861

Martha Thompson


1881

John Hickman


1901 (41)

Joseph James Wright, 34, house decorator, b Middlesex


1913 (74)

J Odams


27 March 1951 – Jeweller’s shop window smashed by thieves
Thieves smashed the display window of G. D. Pickering’s watchmaking and jewellery shop in King Street during the early hours of the morning. Although the display contained goods valued at around £200, only two ladies’ watches worth a total of £9 were stolen. Neighbours reported hearing breaking glass and a car accelerating away at about 2.30 a.m., while investigators found that a starting handle had apparently been thrown through the shop window before being left behind at the scene.

Source: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge King Street Scrapbook 1897–1990, Item: 51 03 27.


20 July 1956 – King Street jeweller reports growing demand for ear piercing
George Pickering, the King Street watchmaker and jeweller, recalled that he had been piercing ears for nine years and had seen demand increase dramatically since the Queen had her ears pierced. His customers ranged in age from three to eighty-five, with groups of girls travelling from surrounding towns including Haverhill to have the procedure carried out. Pickering explained that he had established his jewellery business after the Second World War in a small shop previously used by the Home Guard for cleaning rifles.

Source: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge King Street Scrapbook 1897–1990, Item: 56 07 20a.


1 April 1960 – King Street jeweller pierces his 7,000th pair of ears
George Pickering, the King Street jeweller, estimated that he had pierced more than 7,000 pairs of ears since taking up the work eight years earlier. He carried out around twenty procedures each week, attracting customers from Haverhill, Ely, Huntingdon and Northampton, many of whom queued for the three-and-a-half-minute procedure. Pickering remarked that very few customers fainted and noted that he had also pierced the left ears of a small number of male customers.

Source: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge King Street Scrapbook 1897–1990, Item: 60 04 01.


1962

George D Pickering, watchmaker

Frederick Finch


1974

Barber shop

A row of brick houses with boarded windows borders a path, with a tall street lamp in the foreground and a person on the left.

King Street end of Miltons Walk. Rear view of King’s Road properties (L to r) 70, 72, 74 etc.

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Projects

  • King Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

King Street

24 (15) (16) King Street

(45) (93-94) King Street, Carpenter’s Arms, Cambridge

77 (78) King Street

18 (12) King Street

22 (14) King Street

70 (39) King Street, Cambridge

78 (43) King Street

10 (10) King Street, Cambridge

Knights

66 (37) King Street