Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

The Old Charity School / King Street School

History of 89 King Street

According to the 1831 New Guide to Cambridge, The Old Charity School is ‘ a very spacious and commodious but plain building recently enlarged. The school was established in 1703 by voluntary subscription procured through the active exertions of the celebrated William Whiston, then Lucasian Professor; and among its early patrons were Sir Isaac Newton, Bishop Patrick and Dr Bentley. It was originally instituted for children of both sexes but the boys are now removed to the New Free School near Pound Hill to which institution this school makes an allowance of 30l per annum.’

1913: King Street Girls’ and Infants’ Schools

Miss L Smith, head mistress

Miss Bradley, assistant mistress

1962: –

2018: King Street Housing

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.