Search by topic
Search by text
New Free School / SS Giles’ and Peter’s Girls School
History of New Free School Pound Hill
The 1831 New Guide to Cambridge states that the New Free School was:
built in a plain substantial manner sufficiently spacious to hold 300 boys with a house for the Master contiguous.
This Institution was founded in 1808 for the education of the poor of the town and adjacent villages, on the plan of Dr Bell and Mr Lancaster, but that of the former as adopted by the National society, is now exclusively pursued. Boys are admitted between the ages of six and eleven. The institution is under the management of Governors; constituted by a donation of ten guineas, or an annual subscription of one guinea. The School House etc was erected by a liberal subscription, including a grant of 150l from the University Chest. And the Governors of the old or Whiston’s Charity Schools allow 30l per annum to this institution.
In 1913 the site is being used by the SS. Giles’ and Peter’s Girls’ School, Mis H Salmon, headmistress.