Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Pump Lane / Warwick Street

History of Pump Lane

Before the fire of 1849 this was the road to the east of St Mary the Great. There were properties on both sides. On this map west is at the top. The properties shaded were destroyed in the fire.

Plan of Market Place before the Fire of 1849. From A B Gray’s Cambridge Revisited

The properties in the central block are listed under Market Hill.

………..

1841 census:

(Market Place) Richard Johnson, 40, grocer

Henry Salmon, 20, servant

Walter Marshall, 19, apprentice

Susan Cook, 26, servant

…..

(Warwick Street) Sarah Ind, 40, shirt maker [?]

Sarah, 20

Robert, 19,

Ralph Mould, 22, independent

Henry Andrews, 34, servant

Mary Witt, 28, servant

……..

(Warwick Street) William Emmerson, 35, baker

Sarah, 35

Sarah, 4

William, 2

Francis Wood, 25, servant

Elizabeth Binge, 25, servant

……..

(Warwick Street) John Hayles, 50, shoemaker

Sarah, 50

Sarah, 20

Isabella, 15

John, 10

Georgiana, 7

……..

(Warwick Street) Ann Pleasance, 55, publican

John, 25

Martha, 25

George Morgan, 44, servant

………

(St Mary’s Street) Henry Peters, 50, cutler

Mary, 45

Sarah, 20

Patrick Smyth, 20, musician

…………………………………………………………………………

The properties on the west side in 1849 were:

R Johnson, grocer

The Grapes, Sarah and Robert Ind

W H Emmerson, baker

W and R White, bootmaker

H Peters, cutler

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.