Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Market Passage Cambridge Conservative Club in 1902

North Side Market Passage

History of the north side of Market Passage

1888:

Conservative Club opened

………………………………………………………………………………..

1913:

(7) W Eaden Lilley Ltd warehouse

Borough Conservative registration office, The Cottage, H Saunders French, agent

W Eaden Lilley Ltd, bedstead and bedding showrooms

Cambridge Conservative Club: W P Spalding president, S J Miller hon sec, A Connor custodian

Mrs Newson, lodging house keeper

………………………………………………………………………………..

27/11/1926:  (from local press)

The Cambridge Central Conservative Club in Market Passage was gutted by fire in the early hours of the morning. There were a large number of trade premises nearby and the task of saving the club, with flames nearly 100 feet high, appearing a hopeless one the Lire Brigade concentrated on confining the conflagration to the one building. Had there been a strong wind a centre of shopping would have been destroyed. The Central Hall, which had been booked for many social events for months ahead, suffered severely. The billiards room, which contained four splendid tables also suffered considerably; two of the tables fell through the floor. The club was opened in February 1888.

10/2/1927: Since the Cambridge Conservative Club in Market Passage had been destroyed by fire there had been many busybodies who knew exactly what was going to happen to the club premises and the site. The Chairman could now tell them: it was going to be rebuilt and rise like a Phoenix from the ashes. A very satisfactory arrangement had been made with the Northern Insurance Company and they had today received a cheque from the company.

17/12/1927: Cambridge Conservatives who, following the disastrous fire in Market Passage in November last year, have been accommodated in temporary club premises in Petty Cury, returned to the splendid new club which Phoenix-like has risen from the ashes of the old premises. As before there is a fine lounge billiard room with four tables on the top floor, and a fine lounge and smokeroom with secretary’s office and card room adjoining. Two new rooms will be used as a reading and writing room and a committee room. The colour scheme is brown and buff. The ground floor is not yet complete but will consist of a large hall with a spring dance (Cam.News)

15/6/1935: The Cosmopolitan Cinema in Market Passage was started two years ago by Mr N. Openshaw Higgins as an experiment. Increasing numbers of people have welcomed the opportunity of seeing cultural films that do not appeal to be masses. Now it is moving to the new theatre being constructed in Peas Hill. There has been discussion as to the most suitable name for the new venture. The Arts Theatre was talked of, but a more likely choice now is the Market Theatre. (Cam.News)

17/10/1947: The new “temple” of the fifth art was opened by the Mayor last night. The art is that of cinema; the “temple” the former Cosmopolitan in Market Passage, re- decorated and renamed the Arts Cinema. He said “I feel the cinema will prove an added amenity to Cambridge”. The success of the cinema would depend to a very great extent on a wise selection of films and efficient management. Sound and projection have been improved since the cinema was the Cosmopolitan though teething troubles prevented both being experienced that their best. The seating – with seats from the Festival Theatre – is now sloped (Cam.News)

………………………………………………………………………………..

Further information on The Arts Cinema

http://cambridgestuff.xillennix.com/cinemas/

 

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.