The Borough Council opened its own highergrade school in 1913 just after the Milton Road school was taken over. This was in Melbourne Place and provided for about 820 boys and girls. Two of the three remaining Church higher-grade schools closed when it was opened. As in other higher-grade schools small fees were charged until 1918: at Melbourne Place these were between 6d. and 9d. a week. It was called the Central council school from 1919 and became a senior elementary school. (From British History online)
Higher Grade Council Schools for Boys and Girls
Head Master G W Martin
Head Mistress Miss Blair
High Grade School, Melbourne Place
1962: Cambridge Grammar School for Girls
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.