6 Portugal Place (11 Clement Lane)
History of 6 Portugal Place
Lots 41 and 42 in the 1825 sale of the Salutation pub and related buildings were acquired by a single bidder. He built two small houses, nos. 10 and 11 Clement Lane which became nos. 5 and 6 Portugal Place.
Three Views of Clement Hostel
By 1906, the sites of 6,7, and 7a Portugal Place, as well as the old stable to the south, were occupied by ‘St Clement’s Parish School’.
In an 1887 directory there were two listings:
St Clement’s House School at no. 6 Blackmoor Head Yard
St Clement’s Church School between nos. 6 and 7 Portugal Place
However, by 1891 there was a ‘St Clement Sunday School’ at 6 Blackmoor Head Yard but no mention of a school at Portugal Place. T E Faber’s opinion (An Intimate History of St Clement’s) was that this school was a successor of a school run by nuns in a so-called ‘Church House’ which seemed to have been closing down at the time.
Mrs S A Bond
St Clement’s Parish Schoolroom, Harriet Armitage resident caretaker
Joshua Taylor Ltd robe makers