Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Blackmoor Head Yard

History of Blackmoor Head Yard

This was an alleyway perpendicular to Bridge Street between the Mitre Hotel (17) and The Baron of Beef (19). In 1913 there were 12 addresses there.

In 1825 there was a livery occupying part of the garden behind the Blackmoor Head Yard run by Henry Browning. St John’s College granted him a lease in that year. The livery was next to ‘the Dunghill’, a source of local nuisance.

1881:

6. St Clement’s School House

1891:

6. St Clement Sunday School

1913:

1. Harry G Pilcher

2. Mrs E Golding

3. John Graves, plasterer’s labourer

4. Mrs Ward

5. William Farnfield

6. Cox Motor Cab Company

7. R Darkins, relief stamper

8-9. Mrs Priest

10. Arthur Willis

11. Mrs Seymour

12. Mrs Ellen Clerk, Henry Buck jobmaster

1962:

Blackmoor Head Press

Allen & Philips, sign and van writers

 

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.