Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

(36) Regent Street

History of 36 Regent Street

1861:

William Cutler [?] Shippey, 56, retired grocer, b Ely

Mary Anne, 56, b Devon

Jonathan Tranter, son, 19, bookseller, b Luton

Rebecca Carter, servant, 21, b Grantchester

………….

1871:

(36) Mary Ann Shippey, 61, annuitant, b Devon

Mary Daniel, 55, visitor, annuitant, b Bedford

Eliza M Rayner, 20, servant, b Cambridge

(36a) Albert D Clayton, 41, auctioneer surveyor, b Cambridge

Jane S, 52, b Norfolk

Matilda A Glover, 56, servant, b Norfolk

Mary A Glover, 23, servant, b Norfolk

……………

1881:

(36) Lydia M Hopper, 76, annuitant, b Ireland

Samuel Banks, brother, 73, clerk rector of Cottenham, b Ireland

Jane Banks, sister in law, 56, b Haddenham

Susan Picken, servant, 45, cook, b Broughton

Eliza Foreman, 22, housemaid, b Fulbourn

(36a) Mary Ann Shippey

Maria Daniel, sister, annuitant

Emily S, sister, annuitant

Joanna Hunt, 17, servant, b Soham

The Parish Church of Cottenham is famous for its unusual tower, but before this was built there was a steeple. This fell during a severe storm in 1617 demolishing a schoolroom which stood to the north side of the church. In 1699 another schoolroom was built beside the church for teaching local boys, paid for by Mrs. Katherine Pepys, a relation of the famous Samuel Pepys. How long this stood, we are not sure. What we do know is that in 1852 the then new Rector of Cottenham, The Rev’d Samuel Banks, paid for a large schoolroom to be built next to the stables in the Rectory grounds. His wife and daughter taught local girls here. (from Cottenham News 1997)

The rectors after 1839 all lived in Cottenham and in the late 19th century had considerable success in attracting the villagers back to church, sometimes assisted by curates, as in 1845, the mid 1880s, and c. 1900.  Attendance on Census Sunday 1851 was 74 adults at the morning service and 182 in the afternoon, with c. 50 children at each. Samuel Banks, rector from 1851 instituted evensong in addition to the existing services, and claimed in 1873 that there were 700-800 churchgoers, about half of whom were baptized. A monthly communion was begun by 1873, when the average number of communicants was 27, and Banks was holding weekly communions by 1885 for c. 100 communicant church members. He opened a mission room next to the almshouses in Green End in 1855, which was still in use in 1897. (from British History Online)

………….

1891:

(36) William R I Rownton, 71, retired iron merchant and founder, b Cambridge

Sarah R, 67,  b Essex

Catherine Smith, 27, servant,  b Histon

(36a) Mary A Shippey, widow, 80, living on her own means

Emily Anderson, 20, servant, b Fulbourn

……………

1901:

(36)  Sarah R Rownton [Rowton], widow, 72, living on own means

Annie Wentworth, niece, 46, living on own means, b Essex

Alice Redington, servant, 38, companion, b Surrey

Jessie E Hill, servant, 28, cook, b Suffolk

Agnes Steele, servant, 19, housemaid, b Suffolk

(36a) John H Payne, 29, picture frame maker, b Cambridge

Annie, 29, b Devon

Mary Start, boarder, 35, masseuse, b Cambridge, blind from childhood

Mable Start, boarder, 28, b Cambridge

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.