Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

6 Market Hill

History of 6 Market Hill

1851

Charles Leo Borough [?], 47, ironmonger, b Lincs

1855

In May a Working Men’s College was founded in Cambridge, inspired by the one started in London by Rev Frederick Denison Maurice. The Cambridge initiative came from Henry Montagu Butler, later Master of Trinity, the bookseller brothers Daniel and Alexander Macmillan, Francis Gerald Vesey of Trinity Hall. Rev Harvey Goodwin was appointed the first principal.

The College met over a gymnasium recently opened by Mr Fenner, used by students for gymnastics and boxing.

Josiah Chater used the facilities himself and in Oct 1855 recorded that he had started studying Latin and German he was taught German by Joseph Barber Lightfoot Fellow of Trinity College. He was taught Latin by James Bickersteth Mayor, Fellow of St Johns.

1861

1871

Frank Sussum, 25, chemist & druggist, b Cambridge

Margaret A, 32, sister, housekeeper, b Cambridge

George J Green, assistant, 22, chemist, b Cambridge

Alice Ison, servant, 17, b Quy


1881


1891


1901


1911


1913

Boots, Cash Chemists, fancy dealers, stationers &c, lending library

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.