Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Sidney Street
  • Back Forward
A multi-paned brick building on Sidney Street with a Next store at ground level and a stone crest above the central window.

13 – 15 Sidney Street

History of 13 - 15 Sidney Street

Enid Porter mentions on page 152 of Cambridgeshire Customs and Folklore, the ‘Black Lady of Sidney Street.’ She records that George Pryme, who bought the property in 1820, wrote in his memoirs that the house was:

a large remnant of the Trinity Hostel which, with many others of the like kind, were superseded by colleges … at first it seemed as if it would be impossible to remain there, for our servants believed in a rumour that the house was haunted, and for some time we had a difficulty in persuading them to remain, till at length the ghost was laid by ourselves occupying the room in which the ‘black lady’ was said to walk,

(The foundation of the belief was that a skeleton had been dug up in former years in the garden, but this was easily accounted for by the fact of the house having been once occupied by Sir Busick Harwood, professor of anatomy.)

No.15 was the home of the De La Pryme family. It was originally a quaintly embattled gabled house. It was the home of:

Engraving of a seated man in an academic gown gesturing toward a small anatomical model of a human figure.

Busick Harwood, 1790

Sir Busick Harwood, professor of anatomy (1745-1815)

George Pryme, professor of political economy (1781-1868)

A line drawing of a gateway with a stepped gable, topped by a fleur-de-lis, featuring a shield with a cross in the center.

Gateway of 15 Sidney Street

1820

George Pryme purchased no.15. He wrote in his autobiography:

It was a large remnant of the Trinity Hostel, which, with many others of the like kind, were superseded by Colleges. In making considerable alterations I preserved as much as I could the remains of the internal arrangement. At first it seemed as if it would be impossible to remain there, for our servants believed in a rumour that the house was haunted, and for some time we had a difficulty in persuading them to remain, till at length the ghost was laid by ourselves occupying the room in which “the black lady’ was said to walk.

See Enid Porter’s article:

Shopping

1851

(13)

George Smith, 36, chimney sweep, b Windsor

Mary Ann, 33, b Cambridge

Lidda, daughter, 14, b Cambridge

George, 8, b Cambridge

William, 4, b Cambridge

Fredrick, 9 ms, b Cambridge

Charlotte Hankins, 16, gentleman’s servant, b Melbourn

Frederick G Hume Smith, lodger, 21, student, b Richmond

(13 Sidney Street Passage)

Sarah Ellen Cropley, 36, ? jeweler, b Cambridge

Martha Heath, 35, visitor, b Cambridge

Romilly notes in his diary for 11th June 1849:

Lucy had a grand excitement today. She saw a hole broken into Mr Asby’s house and a little chimney-sweep dragged out by the leg by his brutal master (Wyot I think.) She immediately sallied out, attacked the black old devil for having acted illegally in sending a boy up a flue and said she should lodge a complaint at the Station, which she immediately after did. The ruffian behaved insolently and said ‘he supposed she belonged to the Ramonoors’. Lucy’s spirited conduct deserved the highest praise. The Policeman told her she would find it hard to substantiate her charge, as the villain carried about with him a dwarfish brother of 25 whom he professes to send up the flues whenever he is charged with sending up the boy. The Policeman engaged to frighten the Master well and also to reprimand Mr Asby (without mentioning Lucy’s name), so Lucy let the matter drop…

Romilly’s editor adds: Romilly took a keen interest in legislation to protect climbing boys and in 1840 had tried in vain to persuade Tatham, Master of St John’s to sign a petition on their behalf. By statute sweeps were to take no apprentice under 16 nor was anyone under 21 to climb a chimney. The law was hard to enforce, however, and had to be made more stringent in the 1860s. Ramoneurs (a Frenchified genteelism) used machines of the same name. George Smith of Sidney Street, proprietor of Ramoneur chimney-sweeping machines, was presented with a silver medal in July 1851 by Lord Shaftesbury’s Climbing Boys Committee which was trying to suppress the old ways (Chronicle 19 July 1851).

(14)

Charles Carlton, 39, brewer’s man, b West Wratting

Jemima, 35, b Cambridge

Selena, 12, b West Wratting

Jemima, 1 m, b Cambridge

(15)

William Heath, 40, cordwinder, b Suffolk

Mary Ann, 15, dressmaker, b Cambridge

1861

(13)

George Smith, 47, chimney sweep, b Berks

(14)

Theodora Fitch, 63, interest from mortgages, b Cambridge

(15)

Rev Charles Henry Crosse, 32, clergyman, b Norfolk

A handwritten document listing gas fittings, dated May 28, 1863, with ornate cursive script on lined paper.

1863, Inventory and Valuation of fixtures 15 Sidney Street, Rev Charles Crosse to Dr Latham (MoC127/63)

Handwritten document listing fixtures for a back staircase, large drawing room, and adjoining bedroom in cursive script.

1863, Inventory and Valuation of fixtures 15 Sidney Street, Rev Charles Crosse to Dr Latham (MoC127/63)

A handwritten document listing fixtures for a house, including items for the dressing room, staircase, attics, and courtyard.

1863, Inventory and Valuation of fixtures 15 Sidney Street, Rev Charles Crosse to Dr Latham (MoC127/63)

A handwritten document detailing a 19th-century valuation of greenhouse fixtures, written in black ink on white paper.

1863, Inventory and Valuation of fixtures 15 Sidney Street, Rev Charles Crosse to Dr Latham (MoC127/63)

Handwritten 1863 document on lined paper with a Cambridge ink stamp, a postal revenue stamp, and cursive legal text.

1863, Inventory and Valuation of fixtures 15 Sidney Street, Rev Charles Crosse to Dr Latham (MoC127/63)

Black and white view of Sidney Street showing a Leeds and Leicester Boot Company shop, a stone archway, and pedestrians.

Sidney Street 1925 (MoC)

1875

(15a) Draper’s shop (see 15 Clarendon Street)

1879

See 6 Maids Causeway

Mrs George Smith

Elevated view of Sidney Street buildings with storefronts, striped awnings, horse-drawn carriages, and pedestrians in 1911.

Sidney Street east side seen from Holy Trinity Spire 1911. Photo by H Pain.(Cambridgeshire Collection)

1924

According to Enid Porter, the house stood until this year when it was purchased by Messrs Sainsbury who built a grocery store. (Cambs Customs and Folklore p 152)

1962

F W Woolworth, department store

2018

Next, clothes store

Tags

  • chimney sweep
  • ghost
  • ghost

Projects

  • Sidney Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Sidney Street

Sawston Hall

4 Trumpington Street (Cromwell Lodge)

Limbery’s / Limberhurst Farm, Horseheath

7 Sidney Street

42 Sidney Street

45 Sidney Street

71 Sidney Street / 22 Petty Cury, Cambridge

53 Sidney Street

37 Sidney Street

35 Sidney Street

Sidney Street

documents

43 Sidney Street

61 – 62 Sidney Street