Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Sidney Street
  • Back Forward
Three-story brick building with an Oliver Bonas shopfront featuring large windows decorated with pink flower decals and MUM text.

30 Sidney Street Cambridge

30 / 31 Sidney Street

History of 30 Sidney Street

1861

Dennis Adams, widower, 47, general practitioner, b Over
Arthur Robinson, visitor, 31, gentleman annuitant, b Over
John Stanley, servant, 19, dispenser, b Cambs
Emma Crick, 29, housekeeper, b Balsham
Mary Crick, 24, cook, b Balsham

In 1888 Dennis Adams was caught up in the scandal surrounding the solicitor Ephraim Wayman: Ephraim Wayman 1888

Mary Crick was to marry William Heffer who worked as groom for Dr Adams at All Saints’ Church in Jewry, May 28th 1868. They moved to a house in Ram Yard.

William Heffer’s time working for Dr Adams is described on pages 2-3 of his biography.

 

A view of Sidney Street with multi-story brick buildings, a prominent clock sign, cobblestones, and pedestrians on pavements.

Sidney Street, date unknown, no 31 on right. (MoC17/55A)

1900

William King

Clara Ann

1901

William King, 30, cycle manufacturer, b Cherry Hinton
Clara A, 29, b Herts
Reginald W, 8, b Cambridge
Percy Frederick, 7, b Cambridge
Augustus, 2, b Cambridge
Alice Swann, 20, servant, b Cambridge

In 1898 the King family had been at 23 Sussex Street. In 1902 they were living at The Hatch, Garden Walk. In 1905 they were based at their shop and warehouse on Bridge Street.

Sidney Street features a leafy building on the right, storefronts on the left, and people and bicycles on the sidewalk.

Sidney Street, Galloway and Porter on right c.1910

1962

Galloway & Porter, booksellers

2018

Oliver Bonas

2026

Little Cambridge: Gifts and Souvenirs

Pedestrians walk past the brick storefront of the Little Cambridge gift shop on a street lined with shops and hanging signs.

Little Cambridge (SJM 2026)

The vertical white sign with the black letters BOOK STORE painted on the brick corner of a building above three windows.

Repainted Ghost Sign on wall of 31 Sidney Street (SJM 2026)

 

Tags

  • Building of Local Interest
  • ghost sign

Projects

  • Sidney Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Sidney Street

26 St Barnabas Road, Finkenberg

173 Huntingdon Road

Tenison Road, 90 Mill Road, Salvation Army Citadel Church Hall

Sidney Street – Mapping Relief

The Dorothy Cafe – The Cambridge Women’s Physical Culture Club

44 Sidney Street, Post Office

58a Sidney Street

63 Sidney Street

49 Sidney Street

1,2,3,4,5 Sidney Street, Lloyd’s Bank (Foster’s Bank), Crown and Woolpack Inn

52 Sidney Street, The King’s Head

39 – 40 Sidney Street

61 – 62 Sidney Street