Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • All Saints Passage
  • Back Forward
A tall stone cross stands in a quiet square surrounded by bare trees, flanked by historic brick and stone college buildings.

All Saints-in-the-Jewry, Trinity Street, Cambridge

History of All Saints churchyard

Engraving of a street scene featuring All Saints Church, a stone tower, and several figures in academic gowns on the pavement.

A stone church with a square crenellated tower and a tall pointed spire on a cobbled street with a horse-drawn carriage.

All Saints Church, 1865 (J Palmer Clarke)

A street scene showing a medieval stone tower, a large tree on the left, and Victorian shop fronts with awnings on the right.

All Saints, Trinity Street

Black and white view of a narrow street with a stone church tower in the center and a multi-story shop building on the right.

All Saints Church in Trinity Street before demolition c 1860 (photo A Nicholls MoC24/46A))

 

Black and white view of a narrow street with a stone church tower in the center and a multi-story shop building on the right.A street in Cambridge showing historic stone and red brick buildings, parked bicycles, a red post box, and pedestrians.

 

A tall, ornate stone cross memorial stands in a garden courtyard in front of historic red-brick collegiate buildings.

The church, All Saints-in-the-Jewry, was pulled down in 1865 in favour of Bodley’s new church in Jesus Lane. Its tower stood astride the pavement. There is a Gothic monument to the church, 1880, by Champneys which is a listed building.

The history of the church at this site is documented from the 11th century. By the 13th century the patronage had pass to St Radegunde’s nunnery. The nunnery was reestablished as Jesus College in 1497 after which the vicars were normally graduates of that college.

The mediaeval church was rebuilt several times but by the 19th century it was cramped and dark, and had insufficient space for the congregation. In 1849 it had been hoped to enlarge the church but three years later it was decided to build a new church.

Certain features of the old church were transferred to the new.

Five memorial plaques, one commemorating an alderman, another Susannah Forrester’s bequest of the income of her estate to be given to five widowers and 5 widows in the parish. She died in 1732.

Three dells from the old church: the treble is 15th cent., the second was cast by Thomas Norris of Stamford in 1632; the tenor was cast by Tobie Norris of Stamford in 1606.

There is an 18th cent. brass chandelier. This was the gift of Thomas Nutting, mayor of Cambridge, who was greatly helped by the parish when a poor boy.

The 17th cent. communion table is now in the vestry of the new church, and there is a set of royal arms from the period 1603-1707.

The 15th cent. font was moved to the new church as well.

 

A printed page from Leaflets of Local Lore featuring a black-and-white ink drawing of a church tower and surrounding shops.

All Saints in “the Jewry.”, from Leaflets of Local Lore by Urbs Camboritum (Cambs Collection)

A document with a title and columns of black printed text on a paper page, showing prominent water stains along the edges.

Urbs Camboritum

Historical street scene showing a horse-drawn cart, two pedestrians, and gothic-style buildings with towers and peaked roofs.

All Saints in the Jewry site, Trinity Street (MoC125/51)

A quiet, empty street in Cambridge curves between historic stone buildings, wrought-iron railings, and large Gothic towers.

Trinity Street 1890 (photo Hill and Saunders)

A view of Trinity Street with historic college buildings, a cyclist, pedestrians, and a horse-drawn carriage on the road.

Trinity Street circa 1910 (Cambridgeshire Collection)

 

Sources

  • Cambridgeshire Collection
  • Museum of Cambridge

Tags

  • architecture
  • church
  • Listed building
  • Then and Now

Projects

  • All Saints Passage

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

All Saints Passage

8 Little St Mary’s Lane

Dove Cottage, Cranes Lane, Kingston

53 Church Street, Great Wilbraham

6 All Saints Passage

2 All Saints Passage

3 All Saints Passage

Jewry

8, 9 All Saints Passage, Cambridge

4 All Saints Passage

Clapham’s Coffee House, All Saint’s Passage

1 All Saints Passage, Litchfield House, Cambridge

5 All Saints Passage

7 All Saints Passage