Search by topic
Search by text
55 / 55a St Andrew’s Street, Belmont
History of 55 / 55a St Andrew's Street
According to 1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge:
Belmont … is of two storeys and cellars. The walls are of Gault brick with stone dressings, the roofs slated and tiled. It was built probably in 1822 but incorporates part of an early 18th-century structure forming the E wing; the SW block is self contained and seems to have contained separate offices from the first. Particulars of sale in 1838 describe it as held of the Dean and Chapter of Ely on a lease of forty years from 1822, being in private occupation, with a suite of solicitor’s offices adjoining.
Belmont is a neo-Classical building of some originality in composition.