Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • St Andrew's Street
  • Back Forward
Hand-drawn map of the Vine Estate dated 1635, featuring labels, measurements, building outlines, and descriptive annotations.

70 Sr Andrew’s Street, The Vine Estate

67 St Andrew’s Street / Bradwell’s Yard / Bradwell’s Court, Cambridge

History of 67 St Andrew's Street

John Jellett’s Terrier map of 1635 shows Vyne House at this location.

Grand Arcade excavation report (2019) p383f notes:

Bradwell’s Yard itself lay to the rear of 67 St Andrew’s Street and was accessed via a narrow alleyway (Fig. 6.17). Occupation was first documented here in 1831. By 1886, 65 and 66 St Andrew’s Street had been amalgamated into a single property; the garden to the rear of 67 St Andrew’s Street was also divided at this time between the newly amalgamated property and 68 St Andrew’s Street. Overall, the pattern of occupation in this area was highly comparable to that which prevailed contemporaneously in the vicinity of Field’s Court. Relatively substantial frontage properties, whose households typically included at least one servant, nestled cheek-by-jowl with small, slum-like tenements. Although the number of the latter fluctuated over time, in 1851 11 properties housing 19 occupants were present in Bradwell’s Yard.

A narrow dirt path between old multi-story brick and timber buildings, leading to a small courtyard shaded by a large tree.

Bradwell’s Yard c.1950, demolished in 1959 (MoC)

A drawing showing a cobblestone courtyard enclosed by brick and timber-framed buildings, with a figure and dog in the distance.

Bradwell’s Yard C19th (Cambs Collection)

The Bradwell family had a long association with 67 St Andrew’s Street. This probably extended back to at least 1804, when David and Thomas, the sons of David and Mary Anne Bradwell, were baptized at nearby St Andrew the Great. In 1831 the name Bradwell’s Yard first appeared in parish records, indicating that the family’s association with the property was now well-established. During this period, 67 St Andrew’s Street and its associated yard also formed the premises for the family’s construction business. In 1851, the property was occupied by builder Thomas Bradwell, aged 46, who lived there with his wife, three children and two servants. The firm appears to have ceased trading following David Bradwell senior’s death in 1859; Thomas Bradwell himself probably left Cambridge shortly thereafter. Nevertheless, the Bradwells’ 50-year association with the property yielded a long- lived legacy; having developed the yard that bore their name, this later influenced the naming of Bradwell’s Court shopping centre.


1861 (67)

Thomas Bradwell, 56, carpenter and builder employing 31 men 1 boy, b Cambridge

Bradwell’s Yard:

(1) Mary Hankin, 65, formerly domestic servant, b Royston

(2) Elizabeth Barton, 56, nurse, b Pampisford

(3) Mary Bacon,  58, formerly publican,  b Dry Drayton

(4) William H Wicks, 54, gun smith, b Cambridge

(5) Sarah Redman,  49, dressmaker, b Cambridge

(6) Robert Lilly, 45, coachman, b Norfolk

(7) Eliza Lusher, 68, laundress, b Herts


A woman in a patterned dress hangs white laundry on a line between wooden poles in a cobbled yard lined with brick cottages.

Bradwell’s Yard Cambridge 1930s

Bradwell’s Yard was demolished between 1957 and 1962.


A long modern commercial building with a patterned facade and a bus shelter on a street with cars and pedestrians.

Bradwell’s Court. St Andrew’s Street (MoC32/160/99)

Mid-century storefronts of Bradwells Court with a central brick patterned panel above a recessed entrance and bus shelters.

Bradwell’s Court (MoC48/160/69)

1 July 1961
Bradwell’s Court, the new public footway linking St Andrew’s Street with Drummer Street, was opened for the first time this week. At the same time Christ’s Lane, the old cobbled pathway, was closed. With an arcade at each end and an ‘open style’ court in the centre, the new thoroughfare is flanked by 13 shops 60 01 23c The Roe family has been well known in Cambridge since Joseph Roe started in the antiques trade in Petty Cury in 1826. Now one more facet of the old times will disappear with the demolition of their shop on the corner of Christ’s Lane and St Andrew’s Street. It has been in existence since 1882, having been rebuilt in 1897. New buildings will rise on the site in keeping with the contemporary Bradwell’s Court. The business has relocated to Downing Street where it will be continued by Owen Roe.
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge CHRIST’S LANE Scrapbook, references 60 01 23c and 61 07 01a.

11 August 1962
Bradwell’s Court arcade and shop development has been a joint venture between Jesus and Christ’s Colleges and Ravenseft Properties. It stretches from St Andrew’s Street through to Drummer Street bus station and provides a continuous covered route to the city centre. Work on demolishing the out-of-date shops and buildings started as long ago as October 1957 but was held up by difficulties over leases. The last tenant to go was the well-known antique dealer, Mr K.A. Rowe. By the time the University term begins again the development will be complete and all the 20 new shops and showrooms fully occupied.
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge DRUMMER STREET Scrapbook, reference 62 08 11a.

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Projects

  • St Andrew's Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

St Andrew's Street

7 St Andrew’s Street

27 St Andrew’s Street

A Decade of Gigs at The Regal

4, St Andrew’s Street, Post Office / Brazen George

58 St Andrew’s Street

9 St Andrew’s Street

6 Regent Terrace, Parker’s Piece

3 St Andrew’s Street

video

Parker’s Piece (Pieces), Cambridge

Furness Lodge, Park Terrace