Search by topic
Search by text
29 Thompson’s Lane
History of Thompson's Lane
1543: Jeffrey Rankyn died childless and left to his nephew Gerard a tenement ‘sett and buylded in the same paryshe of Saint Clement at the corner leading towarde Harlestones place commonly called the corner howse wherein Wylliam Smythe pewterer nowe dwellythe.’ ‘Harlestones place‘ was the same as the Harlston Inn [site of Anchor brewery], on the east side of Quayside Inn. The corner house was probably where no. 29 Thompson’s Lane stood in 1886. For more information on this plot see William Dak Tenement entry. (Source: T E Faber, An Intimate History of St Clement’s Parish, 2006)
Roger Thompson, owner of the brewery, built a new house on this site circa 1674.
1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge: the almost symmetrical block centred on the entrance doorway and extending to the back wall of the stairwell in depth was built early in the 19th cent. before no. 30.
1803: Richard Foster
1851: Francis Eaden, brewer and spirit merchant (in 1841 Richard Foster was living in Brooklands)
The house was sold together with all of the Fosters’ estate including the Thompson’s Lane brewery in 1859. At the time no. 29 had 8 bedrooms and was lately occupied by Richard Foster deceased whom T E Faber assumes to have been the same as the Richard Foster living in the house in 1803.
1893: property occupied by Alexander MacIntosh and son; at the time he leased the Ironworks on the Thompson’s Lane brewery site.
Mrs O Edwards, guest house