Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Trinity Street
  • Back Forward
A three-story brick building with Winsor Bishop signage above a dark storefront featuring two people walking on the sidewalk.

30 Trinity Street

History of 30 Trinity Street

Three storeys with attic. Built with no. 31 in middle of 18th century to the same design. No. 30 extended to the west to link with a cottage probably of the early 18th cent. Between 30 and 31 there is an original lead rainwater downpipes with moulded head. No. 30 has several original fittings, mouldings and fireplace surrounds.


1851

Elijah Johnson, 52, bookseller, b Cambridge

Elizabeth, 44, b Cambs

John E, 20, b Cambridge

Emma, 19, b Cambridge

Frederick, 16, b Cambridge

Octavius, 10, b Cambridge

Alfred, 9, b Cambridge

Franks, 7, b Cambridge

Ralph, 5, b Cambridge

Cyrus, 3, b Cambridge

Harriet Midson, 28, servant, b Essex

Naomi Day, 23, servant, b Melbourn


1861

John Elijah Johnson, 30, bookseller employing man and two boys, b Cambridge

1891

Octavius Johnson, brother, 50, librarian, b Cambridge

Louisa Wisby, servant, 61, b Shelford

1901

1911

Charles Macan Rice, 41, clerk in orders chaplain of Kings, b Surrey

1913

Elijah Johnson, new and secondhand bookseller

Sidney Johnson

Rev C M Rice, MA, Chaplain King’s College


The business was sold in 1923 to Deighton & Bell who continued to run it under the name of Elijah Johnson until 1931.


28/2/1925 We regret to announce the death of Mr Cyrus Johnson, the well-known portrait painter. He was the youngest son of the late Mr Elijah Johnson who founded the Cambridge bookselling firm in Trinity Street. Born at Cambridge he was educated at the Perse school and afterwards studied in Paris. He exhibited at the Royal Academy as a portrait painter in 1877 in which branch of art he achieved much distinction. He resided in Cambridge from 1916 until last year. (Cam. Press)

A black and white advertisement for a checkered armchair featuring a lamp and table with printed text below the illustration.

1936, Blue Book

Tags

  • Listed building

Projects

  • Trinity Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Trinity Street

St Mary the Virgin, Godmanchester

52 High Street, Bottisham

Blythe farmhouse, 51 Mill Street, Gamlingay

Franciscan Conduit, Public Water Supply, Trinity Street

24 & 25 Trinity Street

Heffers of Cambridge – known all over the world

Trinity Street – Mapping Relief

9 Trinity Street

23 Trinity Street, Cambridge

37 Trinity Street

Trinity Street, Cambridge

27 Trinity Street

Rose Crescent (Waterloo Place)