Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Trumpington Street
  • Back Forward

Gilbertine Priory of St Edmund, Trumpington Street

History of St Edmunds Priory Trumpington Street

The Priory was established in 1291 and dissolved 1539. There had been a redundant private chapel that was given to the Gilbertine order of Sempringham, Norfolk. It seems to have operated as a college of students and must have seemed very similar to its neighbour, Peterhouse, which was established just a little earlier.

A detailed history of the Priory can be found on British History Online:

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol2/pp254-256

The Gilbertines were also known as the White Canons. It followed a modified Augustinian rule. It was the earliest monastic college and the second college foundation in Cambridge. The last prior, Humphrey Spensley, was pensioned off in 1539.

Tags

  • Religious House

Projects

  • Trumpington Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Trumpington Street

Barham Hall, Bartlow Road, Linton

Bodsey Hermitage and Grange, Ramsey

Benedictine Nunnery of St Mary, Chatteris

69 / 69a Trumpington Street

38/39 Trumpington Street

Trumpington Gate

14 Trumpington Street, Haverford House

27 Trumpington Street

35 Trumpington Street

St Mary the Less (Little St Mary’s)

Master’s Lodge, Peterhouse, Trumpington Street

Trumpington Street, 10 (11) Bene’t Street, Westminster Bank, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge

Addenbrooke Place