Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
By mym, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9113456

St Andrew’s Cherry Hinton

Notes on the history of the parish of St Andrew's Cherry Hinton

Listed building:

Dating from late C12, with fine C13 chancel with good internal wall arcading, rebuilt nave and aisles and West tower with late C12 responds to tower arch. Church, flint rubble and Barnack stone with freestone dressings. Drastically restored and rebuilt by Gilbert Scott in 1880. C15 restored screen. C15 benches. C13 font restored, the 2nd bell is C14 and the oldest in the city.

Churchyard wall of the Church of St Andrew TL 45 NE 21/210A II 2. Flint with C19 and later rebuilding in brick. Triangular capping in brick and stone.

An overview of the history of the parish of St Andrew’s Cherry Hinton can be found here:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol10/pp113-116

More information about the general history of Cherry Hinton can be found at the website of the Cherry Hinton Archives Group.

http://cherry-hinton.ccan.co.uk/

http://www.druidic.org/camchurch/churches/cherryhinton.htm

…………………………..

St Andrew’s Church

More about the history of the church can be found here:

https://standrews-cherryhinton.org.uk/the-church

……………………………

1983: 19 July (CEN)

St Andrew’s Cherry Hinton graveyard 1983

 

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.