Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
45-61 Chesterton Road later Arundel House, Chesterton Road

53 Chesterton Road, New Burlington House, (Arundel House)

History of 53 Chesterton Road

1883-88

This was the home of Anatole von Huegel at the time he took up his post as curator of the museum of Archaeology and Ethnology in 1883, after his marriage in 1880 to Eliza Margaret Froude. At the initiative of Baroness Huegel, a chapel for catechism classes was established in the basement of 53 Chesterton Road but was closed when the von Huegels moved away in 1888.

…………

1891:

Mary Wade Wall, 29, Ireland

Abiathar B H, 7, b Ireland

Charles E, 1, b Cambridge

Heinrich E Just 23, teacher of classic, b Camanda

Arthur W H Grindon, 17, student of music, b Canada

Charles S Karenside, 26, teacher of modern history, b Middlesex

Arthur E Allcroth, 26, teacher of classics, b Lincs

Edward Plaistowe, 19, student of engineering, b London

Isabella M Zeomans [?], 28, cook, Hants

Kate Chapman, 20, housemaid, b Hunts

Mary Jane Cross, 14,  nurse, b Ely

…………

1913: New Burlington House

William Pushee Hollis, councillor of the Borough

………..

1918:

Lieut. Nelson Ernest Suttle. He had been employed by Messrs Banks Ashton Harley of Bury St Edmunds. He joined the Suffolk Yeomanry and was wounded at the Battle of the Somme losing his right hand. He died after a brief illness 4.11.1918, probably Spanish Flu related, Three of his brother served during WWI.

Lieut Nelson Ernest Suttle

Bury Free Press 2.9.1916:

We regret to record that Lieut. N.E. Suttle, of the Suffolks, was wounded in an attack (on August 18th) on the ‘Somme’ receiving four wounds in the right hand (all the fingers were blown off) three wounds on the right wrist, a wound on the right forearm, two wounds on the left leg, and two in the face. He had the right hand below the wrist amputated at a clearing station in France, and is now progressing very well at the first Southern General Hospital, Edgbaston, Birmingham. Lieut. Suttle’s home is at Stowmarket. He joined the Suffolk Yeomanry in 1913, and was given a commission in the infantry in September 1915. He went to France at the beginning of the Somme advance. Lieut. Suttle was in the Stowmarket office of Messrs. Bankes Ashton and Co. Solicitors, and at the outbreak of war was the representative in that town of the ‘Bury Free Press’. He took a keen interest in local sport, and amongst other things was a capable exponent of the art of boxing. Of a pleasant and cheery disposition, he was very popular with all who knew him.

…………

1962:

Geoffrey D Carnall

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.