Anatole von Huegel
Croft Cottage, Barton Road
History of Croft Cottage, Barton Road
1890: Baron von Huegel, curator of the Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography, moves here with his wife, former Eliza Margaret Froude. Baroness von Huegel became involved with Canon Christopher Scott in holding catechism classes for Catholic children on the Chesterton side of the river, at first in a little chapel established near the School of Pythagoras off Northampton Street; this would be taken over by the IBVM sisters when they arrived in Cambridge in 1898. Another chapel for catechism classes was established in the basement of 53 Chesterton Road but was closed when the von Huegels moved away in 1888.
Croft Cottage became an important meeting place for Catholic academics in Cambridge and for visiting Catholic dignitaries. A chapel was built, first in the house, and later in a specially built extension.
Baron von Huegel worked closely with canon Scott to allow attendance of Catholic undergraduates at the University. (for more information see ‘Catholics in Cambridge’ ed.Nicholas Rogers chapter 11.
1911: Croft Cottage
[Baron von Huegel absent]
Ethel Sharpe, 33, cook, b Lincoln
Florence Margaret Maiden, housemaid, b Cambs
Florence Bertha Marjory, parlourmaid, b Cambs
1913: Croft Cottage
Baron Anatole Andreas Aloys von Huegel, curator of University Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology