Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Chesterton
  • /
  • High Street
  • Back Forward
Low-rise brick building with stepped gables, a tiled roof with several chimneys, and a horse-drawn cart blurred in the foreground.

Old Almshouses, High Street, Chesterton

Old Almshouses, Chesterton High Street

History of the )ld Almshouses

These were built circa 1860 but demolished during WWII to allow Hallens, the next door garage, to expand to service military vehicles.


4 May 1899
Filthy almshouses, Chesterton, p2 *

Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge Chesterton Scrapbook, reference 1899 05 04.


21 September 1905
The will of the late Mr Stephen Mansfield of Trumpington includes a bequest of £250 to Chesterton Baptist chapel where he once a teacher in the Sunday School. This is not his only benefaction to the village; there are five almshouses erected by him and their upkeep and stipends for the inmates are provided out of other property. He also subscribed to the Royal Albert and Victoria Friendly Societies’ asylum and left £100 to the poor of Trumpington

Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge Chesterton Scrapbook, reference 05 09 21.


A street view looking towards a junction in Chesterton, with a bungalow on the left and a figure standing on the right.

The junction of Union Lane and the High Street. The Old Almshouse is on the right. the bungalow on the left was built by wealthy local resident Emily Wood.

A street corner view of a low brick building with a tiled roof, three chimneys, and a Union Road street name sign.

Old almshouses, Chesterton High Street / Union Lane (MoCP72)

1960s

Low-angle view of a brick corner building signed Hallens, with Union Lane street sign and parked vehicles along the road.

Corner of Union Lane and Chesterton High Street in the 1960s.

The site had been acquired by Mr L W Hallen in 1937 and parts of the old dance hall were incorporated into the development of the garage.


“Shorty” Hallen’s motorcycle business — 3 June 1952
Ever since he was a young land “Shorty” Hallen has been fascinated by motor cycles. Some 20 years ago he started a business of his own in a small shed in Chesterton. Then in 1936 he opened his showrooms at Chesterton Road, Cambridge. Now he has opened another shop at the Bridge Garage, St Ives. Who could have visualised that the rather tumbled-down buildings could have been turned into the magnificent premises they now are? Instead of a musty-looking building it is a brightly painted, well set out and amply stocked showroom with everything for the motor cyclist. It will add to the usefulness, drawing capacity and charm of the town.

Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge Chesterton Road Area Scrapbook, reference 1952 06 03 c

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Tags

  • Almshouse

Projects

  • High Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

High Street

Perse’s Almshouses, Pembroke Street

Norris Almshouses, Church Street, Little Gransden

Alms houses, Little Wilbraham

Prince Albert, 6, 8, 10 High Street Chesterton

Wesleyan Chapel, High Street, Chesterton

87 – 95 High Street Chesterton (1 – 5 Sunny Terrace)

194 – 202 (130 -140) High Street Chesterton, The Latham Cottages

206 (144) High Street Chesterton

Thrift’s Walk, High Street Chesterton

Fifty Years of My Life – Sir John Dugdale Astley

Barleycorn Lane, High Street, Chesterton

157 & 159 High Street, Chesterton

96 (80) High Street, Chesterton