Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

143 Cherry Hinton Road, Tighnaruadh

History of 143 Cherry Hinton Road

The house was built for Donald Mackay who at the time worked as a manager for Laurie and Maconnell. He then founded Mackays in East Road.

Donald Mackay had moved to Cambridge in 1887 and first lived in Christchurch Street.

1901

Duncan MacKay, 66, retired railway guard

Jane, 67,

Donald, 39, ironmonger, born Scotland

Jane, 33, teacher of dressmaking

Isabella, 26, dressmaker, born Scotland

Alexander D, 28, engineer unemployed, born Scotland

Christina N, 20, typist, born Scotland

Duncan, grand child, 17, ironmonger’s apprentice

Isabella, grandchild, 16, pupil tea agent, born Scotland

Isabella Mathieson, niece, 27, cook domestic, born Scotland

 

1911

(Tighnaruadh)[location in Dumbarton]

Duncan McKay, 76, private means, born Scotland

Jane, 77, (9 children, 1 died), born Scotland

Jane, 40, dressmaking teacher County Council, born Scotland

Bella, 36, born Scotland

Duncan, grandson, 27, ironmongers, born Scotland

……………….

Isabella Mackay was am artist, engraver and miniaturist. She designed the balconies on the University Arms Hotel. She lived at this address until 1976 when she died aged 91.

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.